The Nilgiris district known as “The Queen of Hill Stations” is situated at an elevation of 900 to 2636 meters above MSL. Approximately 65% of the geographical area of this district lies at an altitude of 1800 – 2500 meters above MSL and the remaining 35% at lower altitude. The climate is temperate to sub-tropical. The annual rainfall ranges from
950 mm to 1550 mm.